NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN & ANGEL NORWICH C index
41 & 43 St. STEPHENS STREET St . STEPHEN FULL LICENCE DESTROYED 1942
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/3 ( 1867 to 1953 )
STEWARD & Co  
Licensees :
JOHN SPRATT October 1834
THOMAS SHAW
according to White 1845
1843 - 1845
JOHN SPRATT
 according to Magistrates1845
according to Post Office 1846 
Hunt & Slater 1850
1845 - 1850
JOHN DAYNES
age 59 in 1851
1851 - 1854
MARIA DAYNES
age 64 in 1856
by 1856
JEREMIAH DAYNES 08.02.1870
MARIA DAYNES 20.03.1876
MICHAEL ANDREWS 27.06.1876
THOMAS SNELLING 18.11.1880
GEORGE HOWLETT 01.03.1881
Convicted 01.05.1884 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 50/- plus 17/6d costs
HENRY ALFRED HALL 10.10.1884
FRANCIS EDWARD HALL
son
30.08.1921
SAMUEL HORACE BEALES 25.08.1942



The CROWN & ANGEL from around 10th October 1834, although still referenced as the ANGEL in White's 1836 directory.

John Spratt announced 25th October 1834 that he had moved ( from the about to be demolished ) CROWN, to the ANGEL and would rename the house the CROWN & ANGEL in respect to the many old supporters of both houses.
Mr. Spratt also advised that he would be making alterations to the house and stables in order to ensure the comfort of his Visitors. Genuine Wines and Spirits were offered.

Thomas Shaw of Gissing, announced November 1843, that he had engaged the Crown & Angel, St. Stephens, and solicited the favours of his Friends and the Public for their support.

It was reported 15th September 1855 that a whole sheep was to be roasted here in celebration of recent success in the Crimea. This was thought to be inappropriate and the feast should be held at St. Andrew's Hall, and such a charge made, to allow the public in general to rejoice in a much more extended scale. (The fall of Sebastopol being one of the events to be celebrated having been announced Monday 10th September.)

As 54 St. Stephens 1875 & 1879.

Building destroyed by enemy action February 1942 according to one S&P record. Other sources give April 1942 as date of destruction.
Another S&P record states that the house was demolished by bombing 15.06.1942 and the site was subsequently sold.

The licence was ``struck off the Justices Register in 1942'' according to a letter from S&P dated 12.03.1947


 

House No. 121 on 1845 Magistrates list