NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CHURCH STILE NORWICH C index
Church Stile
St. PETERS STREET
UPPER MARKET
St. PETER MANCROFT FULL LICENCE CLOSED c1877
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 (1867 to 1894)
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by George Morse.
MORGANS 1873
Licensees :
FREDERICK WHITFIELD
worsted weaver
1760 - 1764
Mr PECK 1801
WILLIAM PECK
labourer
1806
JOHN BUCKLE 1806
JOHN WALLER
labourer
May 1806 - 1810
SAMUEL CULYER 1810
- 1811
T. BOND 1822
NATHAN EASTAUGH 1830
ROBERT FOX 1836 - 1841
ROBERT RAYNER 1842
WILLIAM PYE
according to White
See below
1845
GEORGE EASTO
age 51 in 1851 - died 1864
(1845 entry according to Magistrates list)
1845 - 1864
W. VINCENT 1865
RICHARD PLANE by 1867 to closure 


William, Pye appeared before the Court of Insolvent Debtors 31st October 1842.
He was then described as formerly of Upper Walk, Market Place, Eating House Keeper and Licensed to sell Beer by Retail and Late of the CHURCH STYLE in St Peter Mancroft, Publican, since out of business.

According to White, he had returned to this house in order to gain an entry in the 1845 directory, but the Magistrates place him at the Swan with Two Necks / Two Necked Swan in that year.

In 1801 a customer attraction was a live rattlesnake.
Described in the Norfolk Chronicle of April 25th 1801 as being 45 years old and almost 9 feet long.
Visitors were encouraged to bring in animals to be fed to the serpent.
By coincidence it seems the local cat population dipped significantly.

John Waller announced to the public May 1806 that he had taken the OLD CHURCH STILE and hoped for the continuance of favours which were experienced by his predecessor, the late Mr. John Buckle.
Mr. Waller was formerly servant of the late Mr. J. Tuthill, and had been lately in the service of J. G. Aggs, Esq.

In 1810 John Waller is recorded at the OLD CHURCH STILE, Upper Market and Samuel Culyer is at the CHURCH STILE, Market Place. Rather than there being two houses with similar names in the market area at this time, is it Mr. Culyer taking over from Mr. Waller in that year?

Listed as the OLD CHURCH STYLE in 1865.

Location as Upper Market in 1836 & 1854.
As at Fishmarket 1869.

Although, according to the Licence Registers, owned by Steward & Co to 1873, the S&P Trust Deed (1837 - 1851) says that the house was not supplied after November 1845 ?

Licence dropped 1877.