NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CRICKETERS ARMS NORWICH C index Lakenham index
Cricketers index
67 LINDLEY STREET LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED May 1996
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 - 1965 )
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
CHEF & BREWER  
Licensees :
ROBERT BUTCHER - first licence 12.04.1887
WILLIAM CHETTLEBURGH 26.05.1887
EDWIN ISAAC GIBSON 15.07.1913
ARTHUR MARTINS 22.06.1920
SELINA MARTINS 25.07.1933
HENRY ALBERT PAVELEY 10.03.1936
FREDERICK MAXWELL HOLROYD 13.03.1951
HERBERT WILLIAM HOLLAND 02.01.1962
IAN EVANS 1978
-  
DEREK BAKER 1986
MURRAY WICKS 1987
-  
EDWARD HAZEL & VAL WICKS 1995


 September 1987
1987

Provisional licence granted 1886 for a new house to be erected on a new road between Hall Road and City Road, Lakenham.
Order declared final 29.03.1887.

Licenses of the HALF MOON, Southgate and the DOLPHIN, St. Mary given up.

Closed May 1996.

Became a Funeral Parlour.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1886 No 8 7 Yes
The architectural details on the facade are exactly as detailed on the Building Control plans and elevations submitted to the  local authority in 1886.
The public bar remains largely as built, retaining matchboarded walls and ceiling, large structural ceiling beams, picture rail and cornice, corner door vestibule with etched glass lettering `Bottle and Jug' and substantial bar counter.
Two bars, public bar and lounge bar.
Public largely untouched but lounge bar all modern c1960's and later.
Wood grained melamine panelled walls, melamine topped tables, fitted leatherette upholstered benches and chairs. Conti board fascia to wooden topped rectangular bar counter.
The plans submitted in 1886 are for a Public House and Butcher's shop, both now incorporated as one.
<Note that first licensee was Mr. Butcher. Could the `shop' be something other than a butcher's shop?>