NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
NORFOLK WHERRY NORWICH M Index W index
N index Wherry
8/10 CASTLE MEADOW
13 CASTLE STREET
St PETER MANCROFT FULL LICENCE CLOSED
WHITBREAD  
Licensees :
-  
JOHN HAMILTON WRIGHT &
THOMAS WILLIAM KNIGHT
28.04.1964
-  


For Sale - 03.11.1971
The Norfolk Wherry - 1984
1984 - Castle Meadow entrance.

EDWARD'S WINE VAULTS 1883 -

QUICK'S WINE VAULTS 1914 -

(Licence transferred from WINE VAULTS
to NORFOLK WHERRY 28.04.1964)

NORFOLK WHERRY April 1964 to closure 5th September 1985
Featured the Barleycorn Dive (bar) downstairs on Castle Street and the Albion bar at the Castle Meadow level and a restaurant upstairs.

(Apparently closed c1971 and offered for sale as the Former Norfolk Wherry Public House)

A scale model of the wherry `Albion' was on display for many years.

Reopened 2nd September 1987 as CHAPLINS.

MUSWELLS 1989 (IND COOPE)

JUMPIN JAKS 1995

Closed c1998

Demolished and site rebuilt as a bookshop 1999/2000


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1950's No 2 2 No
Split level: Lower bar entered from courtyard off Castle Street, upper bar from Castle Meadow.
1950's/60's interior sparse and plain.
Upper bar closed, lower bar has large patterned flock wallpaper, wooden dado rail, dralon covered chairs and stools, carpet.
Metal foil covering ceiling above sloped wood bar counter.